Sunday 26 October 2014

Reaching my Goodreads target




In June (ages ago, I know!), I reached my very modest Goodreads target of twenty five books. It's a very small target to a lot of readers and to a certain extent, for me, but working in Mexico left me with a lot less free, reading time. Needless to say, I was very pleased when I hit my target half way through the year and have managed to get through a few more books since then. I thought I would share which books I have read so far, and highlight my favourites! 


1. Eleanor & Park by Rainbow Rowell 
I loved this book, I wish I had written a review on it. A beautiful, lovely story about an unlikely couple of teenagers in love. It was funny, sad, smart, observant, and I couldn't put it down! 

2. Forgive me, Leonard Peacock by Matthew Quick
Reminded me a lot of The Catcher In The Rye - check out my review.

3. The Cuckoo's Calling by Robert Galbreith
A fine detective novel under JK Rowling's pseudonym. Despite a lot of disappointing reviews, I really enjoyed this novel. I love the detectives a la Harry Hole and Cormoran Strike was a fulfilling British equivalent.  The Silkworm was an enjoyable read too and I hope the series continues.  

4. The Color Purple by Alice Walker
I don't know why I hadn't read this book before. A moving novel set in rural Georgia that deals with racism, sexism and traditional gender roles. I love a book that makes you think and this book certain does that. 

5. The Spectacular Now by Tim Tharp 
Another great coming of age novel; the movie is pretty good too!

6. The Book Thief by Markus Zusak
I adored this book, I think it is one of my favourites. It's beautifully written and almost unique in it's narration. The second book to ever have made me cry! I can't recommend it highly enough. 

7. Horns by Joe Hill
I read this book because it was on a book to movie adaptation list and I was very pleasantly surprised. It was witty and made so many spot on remarks about life and religion. It had me laughing out loud on several occasions. 

8. To Kill A Mockingbird by Harper Lee 
Like The Color Purple, this book is on many English Literature syllabuses and I can't believe I hadn't read it before.  I loved this book; it addresses so many issues and themes that fascinate and sadden me.  Atticus Finch is literary hero and I can understand why. 

You can see which 40 books I have read so far on Goodreads and my other reviews here.
Have you read any stand out books this year?





Twitter | Bloglovin | Instagram | Goodreads

No comments :

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...