Monday 21 July 2014

Couch to 5K : Week one


I'm not going to lie, I'm really not the most active of people when it comes to exercise. Even through school, I much preferred the academic subjects to PE; probably due to a severe lack of hand-eye coordination and a dislike to running around in the freezing cold. 

However, recently I've decided to make a few changes to my lifestyle (this was all kick started by my gallstone diagnosis) and I wanted to attempt and do something that I never, ever thought I'd be able to do. That's where Couch to 5K came in. To be honest, running is (was? Nah, probably still is) my idea of hell.... I'm pretty sure my body isn't cut out for it! But the health benefits of running are well known and I want to prove to myself that I can do it, so here I find myself, having just completed the first week of the 9 week programme. 

I'm following the NHS plan, which requires you to complete a session three times a week. The sessions in week one involved an interval training kind of plan; 30 seconds of running followed by 90 seconds of brisk walking for half an hour. It sounds a lot easier than it is, for a running novice anyway!  You download your podcast, pop on your trainers and just go for it. The fact that each session is only thirty minutes means that it's pretty easy to fit into your day, I've been getting up an hour earlier and gone before work. It's tiring but already I have noticed a difference in how difficult I have found each run - I'm sure week two will be another shock to the system though! 

I thought I'd blog each week about how it's going because it's great motivation for me to keep on track! I still can't imagine myself running five kilometres but even the fact that I'm exercising three times a week is a massive positive change for me! Here goes for a good second week! 

Have you ever tried an exercise plan like Couch to 5K? 








Twitter | Bloglovin | Instagram | Goodreads

No comments :

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...