Monday 28 July 2014

Couch to 5K : Week two



We did it! We made it through to week two! After every run, I do feel immensely proud of myself; I'm almost picturing it as a tiny step completed on a massive journey. I'm still super apprehensive and doubtful that I will actually be able to run for a whole thirty minutes, but even two weeks ago I doubted that I'd even make it this far! (I'll probably say that every week). 

I think one thing that has made it easier is the fact I have a running partner; we motivate each other and it really has helped me to have a kind of support and someone saying "not much further" when I'm struggling at the end of the last run of the session. I also feel more sense of responsibility now that Dena and I are running together; sometimes it is ridiculously hard to drag my bum out of bed at 6.30 in the morning and run, before heading to work to teach French/Chinese/Nigerian/Spanish kids English for 9 hours. But having someone else doing it too, I have a commitment to fulfill and I don't want to let either of us down, and so far it's working! 

I'm also contemplating signing up for a mile run in September. It's for a local charity and even though it's a race, they are encouraging runners of all abilities to join in. I thought it would be a good goal; it should be one week before I complete the programme and a mile should be an achievable target. Right now, I'm a bit nervous that I won't be able to do it and it will affect my confidence and make me feel like a failure, but I'm also thinking that if I sign up and pay the joining fee and end up not running, it don't matter because the money will have gone to a good cause and I won't have lost out. Even though I have just completed the second week of the programme, running a mile continuously seems like the equivalent of my own mini Everest at the moment. 

I'm feeling positive towards week three; we have found a route that is comfortable but also quite challenging with a few inclines and different surfaces, so it'll be good to see how it pans out with the new timings for running and walking. I'm hoping it won't be too much of a jump up from the second week! 


Twitter | Bloglovin | Instagram | Goodreads

No comments :

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...