Friday 23 May 2014

What makes me happiest in spring, summer, autumn and winter.

One thing I love about living in the UK is the fact we have very distinguishable seasons. I feel like a lot of British people look forward to the time of year when winter releases its freezing grip on us and we enter into spring, or at Halloween and Bonfire Night when we wrap up warm, and enjoy autumnal treats with the leaves crunching under our feet. 

I know I shouldn't complain; Guadalajara has a wonderful climate, but sometimes the heat and sunshine can feel relentless. When we do occasionally get a rain shower or thunderstorm, it feels heavenly. I do miss the change of the seasons, so this got me thinking about what I love most during each time of year.

Spring
Spring is probably my favourite season: I love to see the trees blossoming and greenery returning  after what can sometimes feel like an eternal winter. I feel like Springtime can show off the best of the British countryside: pastel greens, blues, and pinks bathed in soft sunlight.

Summer
The great British summer!  I know we don't get months and months of glorious sunshine, but the British summer epitomises great things about our culture: strawberries, afternoon teas, ice creams on the seafront, Wimbledon (even if you don't like tennis), country fairs and fetes, ice-cold cider and whatever-the-weather barbecues.  Us Brits are resilient creatures and we like to make the most of the summer months, whether it be 25 or 15 degrees.  As soon as the thermometer reaches 20oC, whip out those shorts!

Autumn
Bonfire Night is probably my favourite British holiday. It's just so British.  The story behind it and the actual celebration is something I love to share with all my Mexican students. Like I said, I love wrapping up warm with boots, scarf, hat and gloves, going to my local firework display, buying a toffee apple (which each year, I seem to forget I hate) and soaking up the atmosphere. It's an evening that I spend with my family and I have some of my fondest childhood memories of November 5th.

Winter
For some people, winter can be a particularly harsh and unforgiving season and sometimes, during the short, freezing days of January, I tend to agree.  However, the run up to Christmas is one of my happiest times of the year. Forget the crazy shopping crowds in the big cities, the run up to Christmas  in the small Suffolk towns where I live can be magical.  Twinkling fairy lights, the smell of roasting chestnuts and pine trees, delicious hot chocolate that warms you through, and even the itchy tinsel. For me, it's a delight for all the senses.  



What makes you happy in each season?


Twitter | Bloglovin | Instagram | Goodreads



No comments :

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...