Saturday 19 April 2014

The Disney experience.

After returning from a trip to Walt Disney World in Orlando, I wanted to share my on a time-shoestring Disney experience. Most people will agree that you need at least a week to experience and do everything that WDW has to offer and while I whole heartedly agree that you could easily fill that time doing something new in the 4 Disney parks (not including the two water parks), you can also have an amazing experience with a two day hopper pass and a very, very comfortable pair of shoes! We researched and planned a lot before we headed to Orlando, firstly because I needed to make sure I could eat while I was there and secondly because we wanted to make the most of our time there, (my favourite websites: All Ears, WDW for Grown Ups, WDW Info). Because we only had a limited time to enjoy everything, we had a pretty structured but flexible-ish plan for every day: we knew what we wanted to see, do, and didn't want to spend a lot of time pointlessly dawdling round (which can also be a great way to see a Disney park!).  Each day was a long day with a lot of walking, only resting for meals or snacks; going into our first park at rope drop, leaving around lunch time and heading to the second park until we were fit to drop. We also used our free evenings after Universal studios, whose parks tend to closer earlier, to go to Downton Disney. 



Day one! We reserved our fast passes before we arrived at the park, using the new system on My Disney Experience website and app. Although I have read a lot of people complaining about the lack of flexibility with the new fast pass system, it worked perfectly for us. We were able to decide which rides or attractions were the priority for us and cut queuing time dramatically. Of course, if you are only spending a few hours in a park, it'll be physically impossible to do everything but you are able to get a feel for the park. Our first morning we visited Animal Kingdom and we used our three fast passes for the day here.  At rope drop, the park was fairly quiet, we were able to ride Expedition Everest twice (I love that ride...) as well as do a safari and see the other attractions. Africa in Animal Kingdom had a great selection of fruit stalls and low fat snacks for me (hurrah), all of which could be enjoyed in the sunshine watching African dancers. I really loved this park, the theming across the areas was amazing and so intricate, I loved the area around Expedition Everest. I can't wait to go back!



In the afternoon, we used Disney Transportation to head to Epcot. To me, Epcot is almost iconic to WDW, so different to the parks at Disneyland in California and Paris. I could have easily and happily eaten my way around the World Showcase, devouring goodies from France, Germany, Japan, China... Delicious! We ate in the Marrakesh restaurant (food blog to follow!) as soon as we got to Epcot and then decided to hit the rides because we had to queue. Fortunately, the longest queue was for Soarin', a ride we had done in California but totally worth the wait as you swoop across the stunning natural and man made scenery of California. Mission: Space was also super fun... I felt like a real astronaut! Once we had done all the big attractions, we were free to explore the World Showcase. I love how each section is a little, albeit stereotypical, walk through of a country. We had so much fun exploring and recognising different foods and products from each place and finally finding Branstons Pickle, Party Rings and $20 Quality Street in the UK! I also picked a pearl in Japan, you go and choose your oyster and the sweet shop assistants get you involved when they open it, putting on a mini show! The majority of the oysters have one pearl, but If you are lucky, you may get two or a different coloured one. I got a beautiful bluey silver pearl, which, they told me, only 5-10% of people get.  You can then get it set in a piece of silver jewellery or in a little bottle. A wonderful, personal souvenir to treasure! There are loads of opportunities to meet princesses and characters in Epcot and it always feels so magical to see Mary Poppins or Belle when you are strolling round. In the evenings, there is the Illuminations display. Fireworks and music, as per Disney tradition, to end a Disney day. 








Day two! Our second day in WDW was actually our last in Orlando and my fake birthday so I will write a separate blog about my once in a lifetime birthday morning! We spent the morning in the Magic Kingdom and rushed to Hollywood Studios for a few hours in the afternoon before returning to Magic Kingdom for our fast passes and the parades. Hollywood Studios is similar to the theming of Universal studios and also the Studios part of Disneyland Paris. I love feeling like I'm in the golden age of Hollywood, walking down pristine streets and bouncing along to the music that is reminiscent of that age. We didn't quite spend enough time there, we were on a tight schedule but we managed to walk around the whole park and see a couple of attractions. Mickey Mouse also bought me a birthday drink, and it's little things like that that make me adore the Disney experience.

Our afternoon/evening in the Magic Kingdom was magical. For me, the Magic Kingdom is the epitome of all things Disney, from the castle to the Main Street USA and the different lands. The Disney parades are unforgettable and the fireworks are breathtaking. Riding Big Thunder Mountain in the dark will always be one of my favourite memories, laughing the whole way round. We also traded pins with a lot of the cast members and it's such a fun way to pass the time.



All in all, the Disney experience is one that takes you away from the real world, the cast members are always so friendly, polite and willing to help. It seems that they want to make your day better (I realise they get paid to do this but it's still refreshing). Disney, to me at least, equates to happiness, fun, magic and you are away from the normal stresses and strains from the normal life. Yes, it can be expensive, it can make you more tired than before you arrived, but you are always left wanting more and have a smile on your face. 

No comments :

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...