Saturday 5 April 2014

Bikini body? Sure.

I love the summer, long balmy days full of sunshine, warmth, the chance to get my pasty white legs out in denim shorts or pretty tea dresses and sandles. Something that I do not like about the summer is the insane bombardment from magazines, websites, newspapers, and clothes shops, about getting in shape for our bikini bodies. I know this is a topic that has been debated time and time again, but for me personally, as some one who doesn't have the perfect 'bikini body' and feels pressure to try and achieve this unattainable goal, it really upsets and infuriates me.

Firstly, the bikini body pressure isn't about being healthy; isn't about ensuring that our bodies are working to the best of their ability, and isn't about cutting the risk of cancer, heart disease or diabetes. It's purely about looking a certain way, fitting into a certain dress size, or conforming to what we are told is beautiful. It's not even there to make us feel good about ourselves, in our bodies. You are allowed to feel good if, and only if, you meet a certain criteria that isn't possible for a lot of women. It doesn't just affect those who have wider hips, bigger tummies or boobs, but women who are also deemed too thin and too skinny. Of course, I am not advocating being unhealthy, but it is possible to be fit and healthy and heaven forbid, WEAR A BIKINI even if you are not a size X. 

Secondly, maybe this is just me, but all of these articles, tips, "advice" only encourage women to hate their bodies. If our body isn't perfect, it's not good enough and therefore, we are not good enough. We are encouraged to pick flaws in other peoples bodies - "oh, look at her love handles, bingo wings etc" - women are pitted against each other, criticising ourselves and others. It works the other end of the scale too: we are taught to admire those who dare to flaunt their imperfect bodies. Why do we do either? Why can't we just accept every body? Why are we always criticising or admiring other people? Why can't we just be? 

I'm not the first person to have said any of this, I won't be the last, and I probably haven't put it in the most eloquent way; but it is something very personal to me. As I said earlier, I'm far from having the bikini body that is portrayed in glossy magazines or health websites, but if I want to wear one, why can't I wear one without fear of being judged or my body being frowned upon?  I want to wear clothes simply because I like them, not because they make my bum look smaller, my waist slimmer and my boobs bigger. If it's hot, I want to wear short shorts and tiny tops and not be repulsed by my own body because I have a "muffin top".  The horrible and worrying thing is that I do feel this disgust and repulsion at my own body because I feel like I will never compare or compete with the beautiful, stunning models, and to be honest, I don't want to compare myself to them. I'm pressured by anonymous, face less articles written online saying I should being doing this and that, and if I don't I will forever be unattractive. Everyone has their body worries, and for me, it's so sad because in reality we don't need to worry about these things. 

We are all so quick to put labels on ourselves: fat, thin, curvy, boyish, chubby, great body, skinny. Why not label ourselves healthy, happy, comfortable in our own skin, regardless of size or shape? I am still fighting an inner battle with myself and my sense often still loses, but who the hell has the right to say what we should look like? People feel they have the right to criticise or "suggest" ways to improve other peoples bodies, but who put them in charge to think they can judge our appearance? If you want to lose weight to be healthy, or adjust your diet to forge a better relationship with food, fine. But do it because YOU want to, not because you feel you have to. Or worse still, because someone makes you feel you have to. 

Life is too short for us to spend so many years hating ourselves and our bodies. Feel confident in your skin, wear what you want, when you want, what you feel comfortable in: bikini, one piece, tankini... Whatever your size. We are beautiful, we are unique, we are us. 


No comments :

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...