Sunday 17 August 2014

Red Rose Chain's Wuthering Heights



Red Rose Company theatre company has been around for many years now and I have always wanted to see one of their productions.  I knew that they put on Shakespeare plays in Rendlesham Forest during the summer and pretty much every year, I have hummed and harred about getting tickets and then before I knew it, it had whizzed through July and August and I had missed the productions.

But not this year, I'm pleased to say!  I managed to pick up tickets from Groupon to see their production of Wuthering Heights at Jimmy's Farm in Ipswich, and I was thoroughly impressed.

I will be honest and say that I have never read the Emily Bronte classic but I was aware that it is a dark, brooding, Gothic tale that centres around one of literature's most famous couples, Heathcliff and Cathy, a story that seems perfect to be reenacted with the sun setting over a forest.

It seems that Red Rose Chain's productions have moved from Rendlesham Forest to Jimmy's Farm and upon arrival at the farm, we knew that we were in for a very special evening.  We arrived at around 6.30pm; parking was effortless and we walked along side the animals to the edge of the forest, all the way guided by extremely helpful, friendly, and polite staff.  The pathway into the 'theatre' snaked through the woodland which was to be lit up with twinkling fairy lights, setting the mood.  You already felt as if you were miles away from the usual humdrum of daily life.  We were told we could sit where ever we liked; there were three stands, and an area for you to bring your own seats in front of the stage.  There was a bar on site and many people were enjoying picnics (such a great idea - wish we had thought of that!).  The cast members were already in costume and character, chatting to audience members, which gave the production a lovely intimate, familiar feel.

The set was very simple, but the backdrop of the forest meant it was stunning and eerie enough for this brooding story.  The actors and actresses were simply phenomenal, it was a very small cast and they were simply outstanding.  I was worried that I would struggle with the dialogue but the story and production was so involving that I could not take my eyes off the stage.  The first act was very, very dark but interestingly, the second act managed to lighten the atmosphere amongst many deaths and other despair (no spoilers!).  As the sun set, the stage and play became even more haunting and this added to making this an unforgettable experience.

Red Rose Chain seriously impressed me with this production.  I am very disappointed that I won't be able to make it to their other production, Shakespeare's Comedy of Errors this summer.  They are an independent company based here in Suffolk and I feel that by setting plays in such unique environments, they are making theatre accessible to all.  Sitting in the forest, surrounded by woodland and the sounds of nature is a million miles away from the sometimes stuffy and very regal theatres that Bronte and Shakespeare would usually be set in.

A wonderful way indeed to spend a summer's evening!  Check out Red Rose Chain's website.

2 comments :

  1. I have never heard of this but it sounds amazing! Wuthering Heights is one of my favourite books and it sounds amazing to see it performed in a forest of all places!

    Rachael at broomfie.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was wonderful! I really want to read the book after seeing it, and people have told me that this adaptation is very, very good!

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...