Monday 22 August 2011

The final countdown...

I am officially 7 days from moving to Pau. To be honest, I'm terrified. There is a tiny bit of excitement in there but most it's fear! I feel like I'm the only one who isn't brimming with excitement over the year abroad but I honestly do not feel confident enough over my French. I think this is my main worry (aside from mal du pays). I'm worried that I won't be able to understand anyone or make myself understood.

I'm very concerned that this lack of confidence is going to affect every part of me living in France. I want to go out there and meet lots of French people, and talk lots of French but what if my fear of making mistakes stops me doing this? I try to go out with this mindset that I will speak as much as possible but what if I chicken out at the last minute? I guess it will be a sink or swim situation!

Apart from concerns about my ability, I'm going to miss my family so much. I guess this is a normal part of moving away. People have said they will come out and visit me and at the moment, I don't have any intentions of coming home during the term. It appears we have a wee off for Toussaints but I'm hoping to go visit my friends in Barcelona and Zaragoza!

On a more positive note, Pau looks beautiful. I'm excited to be so close to the Pyrenees! It looks like it's nice and warm there right now too, they seemed to experience a canicule over the weekend, the temperatures peaked at around 40 degrees! Toasty!

So, what's left to do in my last 7 days in the UK:-
  • Sort out some Euros for immediate spending money/upfront rent payment.
  • Year abroad insurance.
  • Start packing!
  • Seeing everyone and say my "see you laters" (I refuse to say goodbye!)
  • Book a hotel for our first night in France.

I think that's it... That's not too bad... I've probably forgotten something though!

1 comment :

  1. If you weren't scared then I would worry you weren't thinking seriously. Naturally you should be scared of leaving. This is a whole new experience for you, and if you were just brimming with excitement then I don't think you would be fully comprehending what you're doing.

    Firstly don't worry about your French, all the non-native English people I met on my study abroad said they were scared they wouldn't understand too- but relax and it'll come. One of the guys who said he struggled the most, was joking along with the rest of us soon enough. I think once you're in the culture you start to click. :)

    You may feel homesick, I did, but soon you'll be studying and meeting people and the time will fly and you'll enjoy yourself so much you'll forget why you were worried in the first place! Just be yourself. Enjoy it, and remember there are lots and lots of people ready to help you if you're stuck, that's what being an international student is all about anyway: asking questions all the time!

    Good luck!! <3

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...