Monday 16 May 2016

Invictus Games 2016

The ESPN Complex here on Walt Disney World property was the home of the 2016 Invictus Games.  This understandably created a huge buzz around the resort both because of the amazing athletes and wounded warriors who take part the games and also because it meant that Prince Harry would be here in WDW too!



We were all very excited once we knew the Games would be held here and as soon as we knew tickets were on sale, we quickly snapped up some for the Closing Ceremony.  I would have loved to have been able to go to one of the events but my work schedule and previous plans meant that I wasn't able to.  

Fourteen different teams from across the globe took part in ten different games and the stories of sportsmanship and comradery that emerged were truly touching.  The athletes really are so inspirational and although I could never begin to understand what they have been through, I admire and respect everything they have done so much.  

The Closing Ceremony was a wonderful celebration of the Games themselves and also of the friends and family who support the soldiers.  To kick off the ceremony, the crowd welcomed and cheered the friends and family's of the participants; everyone was so proud to be there!  Afterwards, another extremely touching part of the ceremony was the handing out of the Games medallions to every athlete that took part in the games.  Some teams were very small - only 16/17 members - others were much larger - around 100 athletes - but each team had an amazing story that was shared over the PA system.  Teams were lent equipment to play games by other teams and supported throughout the whole four days of Invictus.  

There were performances by some incredible artists too - I was super excited to see Phillip Phillips perform; he's someone who I thought I'd never be able to see play live and some of his songs are really special to me!  Rascal Flatts were also there and I can't get enough of country music at the moment so that was also so good! 

Tiny Prince Harry

Of course Prince Harry gave a speech and you could tell he feels so passionately about these games and what they mean to each individual involved.  To be honest, it felt almost surreal seeing him there- I saw him more as the creator of these amazing games instead of our Prince!  I also realised afterwards that it was the closest that I have ever been to a British Monarch!


The entire evening was incredibly uplifting and humbling, I felt very privileged to have been able to attend.  It's also moments like that which make me appreciate this program and all the opportunities that we have here.  In the past week I've been able to see a rocket launch and then attend this event.  It really is an indescribable feeling to be able to do all of this!   

1 comment :

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...