Sunday 14 December 2014

Festive afternoon tea at The Ritz



If you have read any of my posts before, you may know that afternoon tea is one of my favourite meals.  When Dena and I came across The Ritz's festive afternoon tea menu way back in May this year, we decided to try and get a table.  It's incredibly hard to get a table for afternoon tea at The Ritz - hence our booking way back when we were still in Mexico ! 

To be honest, I'd half forgotten about the reservation until recently but when I did remember, my excitement levels went through the roof! I'd never been to The Ritz before but the decadent opulence is something that has always appealed to me and visiting London is always something I enjoy doing. 

The Ritz, of course, welcomed us with twinkling lights and beautifully festive decoration inside and outside. I love the classic look of their decorations, rich reds and golds, for me, a truly timeless Christmas time look. We were a little bit early for our reservation so we took a quick stroll through a very winters and chilly Green Park to Buckingham Palace, made a wish in the fountain, and walked back. To be honest, being in central London at this time of year really does bring out the most festive in me! 

We had a quick drink in the bar before our afternoon tea, and I definitely want to go back for a cocktail or two. As soon as you step into the bar, you're transported to the 1920s, jazz music in the background, and I imagined myself sitting there with a cocktail in a sequinned flapper dress. I love that era! Unfortunately for us, we had a round of soft drinks and nibbles before heading through to Palm Court for our tea, 

The Palm Court was also beautifully decked out and we were shown to our table.  I felt a little overwhelmed by the formality of it all (maybe I'm more of a spit and sawdust kinda girl) but it's quite easy to relax when you're seated. We were served out glass of champagne and our tea order was taken (Ritz Royal English for me and the Christmas blend for Dena). 

When the pastries and sandwiches arrived, I was in heaven! An endless supply of delicious cakes and sandwiches, what more could a girl want? We had macarons, chocolate sponge, a caramelly chocolate dome and a fruit custard tart (I'm sure they had fancier names). All were heavenly! Of course, there were fruit and plain scones, served with lashings of clotted cream and strawberry jam. If that wasn't enough cake, a waiter brought round slices of Christmas cake, Bakewell slice and warm mince pies! 



I cannot explain how much I enjoyed the whole experience.  My only disappointment was that I couldn't eat more. The Ritz provides an excellent and luxurious five star hospitality - staying on our of their rooms will definitely be on my bucket list! 

What made it so special for me was the festive atmosphere, I think our afternoon there was what really got me into the Christmas spirit! 


Twitter | Bloglovin | Instagram | Goodreads

2 comments :

  1. It looks like you had an absolutely brilliant time! I'd love afternoon tea at The Ritz - and it looks even more brilliant with it's festive decorations!

    Rachael at broomfie.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. We definitely should have eaten more!!!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...